Cathedral of St. Peter the Apostle

JACKSON, MISSISSIPPI

The Cathedral of St. Peter the Apostle was completed in 1900. It became the cathedral of Jackson Mississippi in 1977 and is currently the seat of the Bishop of Jackson, Mississippi. The structure is on the National Register of Historic Places.

Our work on this project included:

Curci House

HALLANDALE BEACH, FLORIDA

The restoration of the historic Curci House in Hallandale Beach, Florida was completed with the design/build project delivery method by the Durable Restoration Company working in coordination with Heritage Architectural Associates. This fifteen room Italian Renaissance mansion was built in 1925 for Frank Curci, a local entrepreneur. The house was owned by the Curci’s until the 1960’s, when the house was sold and subsequently fell into disrepair.

The Hallandale Beach City Commission designated the Curci House a Historic Site, and selected the Durable Restoration Company to perform the complete restoration to bring the house back to its former grandeur.

Our design/build services for this project included historic research, full architectural and engineering design, liaison with the State of Florida Historic Preservation Offices, followed by selective demolition, exterior masonry and concrete restoration, structural stabilization, roofing, window and door replacement, exterior painting, and interior rehabilitation including but not limited to plaster, wood restoration, mosaic restorations, painting, mechanical, electrical and life safety services. The completed restoration garnered awards from the Florida Trust for Historic Preservation for Outstanding Achievement in Adaptive Use and the Stuart Mclver Historian’s Award from Broward County.

Abraham Lincoln Birthplace Museum

HODGENVILLE, KENTUCKY

The Memorial Building at the Abraham Lincoln Birthplace National Historic Site in Hodgenville, Kentucky was designed by architect John Russell Pope and completed in 1911. It houses a log cabin that is comprised of some logs which was once believed to have been part of the original Lincoln birth cabin. It is located approximately 3 miles from Lincoln’s birthplace on Sinking Spring Farm. The War Department managed the site until 1933 when it was transferred to the National Parks Service, who continues to oversee the site today. The park was designated a national historic park in 1939. Our work on the project, contracted through general contractor, Lightsey Restorations, included masonry restoration, plaster restoration, metal fabrication, complete window and door restoration, glazing, and interior painting.

Frank Lloyd Wright's Westcott House

SPRINGFIELD, OHIO

Restoration of the Burton J. Westcott house, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, transformed a deteriorating structure into a dazzling house museum. The house, built in 1908, is the only example of Wright’s prairie-style architecture in Ohio. Durable Restoration served as the construction manager for this historic restoration – taking the building from an altered and dilapidated state and returning it to its former glory.

The home had been divided into apartments and had suffered drastic damage over the years despite efforts by recent owners to halt deterioration and preserve the building. Durable Restoration brought its considerable expertise in historic restoration and project management as construction manager for this project.

During the restoration of what Harvard professor Neil Levine called “one of the top twenty Frank Lloyd Wright houses in the world,” Durable Restoration uncovered new evidence of original architectural details which augmented the architects’ research on the building. Further research by Durable Restoration, such as locating a vintage bathtub to match a remaining original fixture, or tracking down a radiator escutcheon just like the originals, made possible what Tom Schmidt of the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy has deemed “a world class restoration.”

While preserving as much of the original structure as possible, the restoration involved extensive structural stabilization, selective demolition of alterations to the building, updating of systems (including the installation of an invisible geothermal heating system), and complete interior and exterior restoration – walls, floors, doors, windows, Wright-designed furniture, bath fixtures, light fixtures, roofing, site work, and landscaping.

Durable Restoration followed the U.S. Secretary of the Interior Guidelines and Standards throughout the restoration process.

The Westcott House first opened to the public as a museum in October, 2005.  Durable Restoration has won awards from the Dayton Business Journal and Ohio Historical Society for its work on the project

Phase 1

Phase 2

Phase 3

Garden District Residence

NEW ORLEANS, LOUISIANA

An extensive restoration was performed on the exterior and interior of this garden district mansion in New Orleans.  Built shortly after the civil war for an important French Royal officer, the house was later home to the Brennan’s, New Orleans’ famed first family of cuisine.

On the interior, our work included:

The exterior work included:

First Congregational Church

Designed and built in the Richardsonian Romanesque style by the noted architectural firm of Charles Henry, the historic First Congregational Church in Akron, Ohio was completed in 1910 and recently restored in 2005.  It is architecturally significant as it is one of the few remaining “Akron Plan” churches designed by Charles Henry, a design that they would eventually take nationally.  The Akron Plan had a unique layout with a Sunday school arrangement of small classrooms surrounding a central assembly hall.  This structure is now on the National Register of Historic Places.

Our work on this project included:

Following completion of this project, we received the following awards for our work: