Annaburg Manor, Manassas, VA

The Durable Restoration Company has officially started the highly anticipated four month restoration process of Annaburg Manor, Manassas, Virginia.  The City of Manassas purchased the land in 2019 with the plan to restore the historic structure and turn the property into a recreational park.

Annaburg Manor was built in 1892 by entrepreneur Robert Portner.  Since being built, Annaburg Manor has gone through innumerable exterior changes, some less durable then others, each reflecting the different styles of the occupants living there through the years.  The Durable Restoration Company (DRC) will work to restore the historic building back to its’ original façade.  Led by DRC’s historic preservationist, Julie Butler, the work will be done using accepted historic preservation practices and materials.

Our first step in the historic restoration process will be to replace the asphalt shingle roof to Vermont Black slate.

Below the roof, the formerly pink brick and brownstone façade – now a bright and peeling white – will hopefully be fully restored to its original warm hue, but only after rigorous testing. Currently, DRC conservators will use carefully fabricated mock-ups, evaluating different combinations of paint and removal techniques, to determine the closest possible match for the paint used and the least invasive method for removing it. The current paint coatings are leading to deterioration of the stone below and are not historically appropriate.

Completed, Annaburg Manor’s distinctive colors and ornate details will be a crowning achievement for DRC and a beautiful new social center for the city of Manassas, Virginia.

On December 9th, 2021 Annaburg Manor was placed on the Virginia Department of Historic Places registry and has been recommended for the National Registry of Historic Places.

The Flag House


Located in eastern downtown Baltimore, MD, near Little Italy and Old Town, sits a small brick house on East Pratt Street, the Flag House, wherein Mary Young Pickersgill made America’s first Star-Spangled Banner. Mounted above Fort McHenry’s ramparts during the War of 1812, it survived British rockets and inspired Francis Scott Key to write our National Anthem.

More recently, The Flag House‘s garden wall and fencing assemblies met with a car, ruining a portion of the fence and damaging the historic brick. The Durable Restoration Company is replacing each injured brick with historically accurate alternatives. Matching the size, texture, and color of the bricks will produce a seamless and lasting repair. As for the fence, we are fabricating a custom replacement that precisely matches the existing columns.

Bishop's Table, 22 E. 3rd, Maysville, KY

This adaptive reuse project involved restoring and beautifying a former historic restaurant, The Bishop’s Table, and converting it into a residence.  The project included renovations to the garden patio, a new façade for an existing garage, carved Indiana limestone walls, handcrafted wrought-iron gates, and new gas lamps.  This project is located in Maysville, Kentucky, a historic town on the south bank of the Ohio River and known as being an important stop on the Underground Railroad.

Frank Lloyd Wright's Westcott House


Restoration of the Burton J. Westcott house, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, transformed a deteriorating structure into a dazzling house museum. The house, built in 1908, is the only example of Wright’s prairie-style architecture in Ohio. Durable Restoration served as the construction manager for this historic restoration – taking the building from an altered and dilapidated state and returning it to its former glory.

The home had been divided into apartments and had suffered drastic damage over the years despite efforts by recent owners to halt deterioration and preserve the building. Durable Restoration brought its considerable expertise in historic restoration and project management as construction manager for this project.

During the restoration of what Harvard professor Neil Levine called “one of the top twenty Frank Lloyd Wright houses in the world,” Durable Restoration uncovered new evidence of original architectural details which augmented the architects’ research on the building. Further research by Durable Restoration, such as locating a vintage bathtub to match a remaining original fixture, or tracking down a radiator escutcheon just like the originals, made possible what Tom Schmidt of the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy has deemed “a world class restoration.”

While preserving as much of the original structure as possible, the restoration involved extensive structural stabilization, selective demolition of alterations to the building, updating of systems (including the installation of an invisible geothermal heating system), and complete interior and exterior restoration – walls, floors, doors, windows, Wright-designed furniture, bath fixtures, light fixtures, roofing, site work, and landscaping.

Durable Restoration followed the U.S. Secretary of the Interior Guidelines and Standards throughout the restoration process.

The Westcott House first opened to the public as a museum in October, 2005.  Durable Restoration has won awards from the Dayton Business Journal and Ohio Historical Society for its work on the project

Phase 1

Phase 2

Phase 3