First Congregational Church

Designed and built in the Richardsonian Romanesque style by the noted architectural firm of Charles Henry, the historic First Congregational Church in Akron, Ohio was completed in 1910 and recently restored in 2005.  It is architecturally significant as it is one of the few remaining “Akron Plan” churches designed by Charles Henry, a design that they would eventually take nationally.  The Akron Plan had a unique layout with a Sunday school arrangement of small classrooms surrounding a central assembly hall.  This structure is now on the National Register of Historic Places.

Our work on this project included:

Following completion of this project, we received the following awards for our work:

The Columbus Foundation

COLUMBUS, OHIO

Formerly home to ten Ohio governors, this classic structure is on the National Registry of historic buildings. The historic mansion was built for Charles Lindberg who lived in the home for fourteen years before the State of Ohio purchased the property in 1919. The building was used as the governor’s residence until 1957. The home fell into disrepair, being used as a restaurant and offices over the years before it was purchased by The Columbus Foundation.

Our projects on this historic property have included restoration of the slate roof, the two-tiered built-in gutter system, skylights, tile walkways, pergola,replication and replacement of historic windows, and our most recent project of restoring the Palm Room is shown below.

Phase 1

Phase 2

All Saints Episcopal Church

FREDERICK, MD

The Bell tower experienced a full exterior restoration which included removing and replacing all of the slate on the main steeple and a smaller turret, along with a complete reconstruction of two hand carved finials. The masonry portion of the steeple was spot pointed where necessary and the brownstone elements were restored with Jahn Brownstone repair mortar. All of the brownstone also was coated with a vapor permeable mineral coating which will halt any further deterioration from poor past repairs.

Relying on federal guidelines, masons followed the criteria of Preservation Briefs, which stipulate how historic buildings are preserved, rehabilitated and restored. Durable Restoration craftsmen completed the stone patching and repair of this church’s exterior because of our expertise in mortar products from Jahn International and KEIM Mineral Coatings.