Built in 1885, the Old Fairfax County Jail operated as a jail until 1953. The original jail had burned down in 1884 and the Alexandria jail was used until the current building was finished. Before it was converted, the last jailer, William F. Lowe and his family lived in this building until 1954. Since then, the structure has been used as many different county offices such as recreation, juvenile court, and fine board. During the building’s time used as a County Clerk’s Office in 1974, many historically important documents were held in the building, including the wills of George and Martha Washington. Today, it is used as the Fairfax County Sheriff’s Office.
The Durable Restoration Company will be performing restoration work on the roof as well as the masonry. Our scope of work includes removing/salvaging the roof system in its entirety, rebuilding the south masonry wall at the roof line, and rebuilding the interior masonry walls at the door openings.