Built between 1962 and 1966, the Hurff A. Saunders Federal Building in Juneau, Alaska is significantly associated with the development of Juneau in the 1960s, only a few years after Alaska officially became a state. Sitting at nine-stories tall, the government building has characteristics of mid-century Modern architecture which is not common in Alaska. In its 351,391 square feet (about the area of the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool), it supplies office space for laboratories for a variety of federal agencies including the U.S. Postal Service, the Departments of Commerce, Agriculture, and Transporation, the Department of the Interior, the National Marine Fisheries Service, and many more.
The building was named after Hurff Ackerman Saunders who had a civilian position with the Coast Guard and worked as a civil engineer. He made several corrections to the nautical maps during World War II to make the waters safer for the US Navy and Coast Guard. He completed the Federal Building before retiring which was then named after him in 1998. In 2014, the courthouse within the building was renamed and is known as the Robert Boochever US Courthouse after Judge Robert Boochever.
Judge Robert Boocheveer was an assistant US attorney after serving in World War II. After being a US attorney, he worked in private practice from 1946 to 1947 in Juneau. From 1972 until 1980, he served one the US Supreme Court and was Chief Justice from 1975 to 1978. Beginning in 1980, he sat on the US Court Appeals for the Ninth Circuit until his passing in 2011.
The Durable Restoration Company will be performing granite repair on the historic building.