Cathedral of St. Peter the Apostle

JACKSON, MISSISSIPPI

The Cathedral of St. Peter the Apostle was completed in 1900. It became the cathedral of Jackson Mississippi in 1977 and is currently the seat of the Bishop of Jackson, Mississippi. The structure is on the National Register of Historic Places.

Our work on this project included:

Florida State Capital Building

TALLAHASSEE, FLORIDA

The National Shrine at the Cross in the Woods

INDIAN RIVER, MICHIGAN

The National Shrine at the Cross in the Woods in Indian River, Michigan was declared a national Catholic shrine in 2006. The highlight of the shrine is the largest crucifix in the world affixed with a seven ton bronze sculpture of Christ created by renowned sculptor, Marshall Fredricks. The original church was designed by Alden Dow, a student of Frank Lloyd Wright. The Durable Restoration Company completed the restoration of the cross in 2009 in time for the 50th anniversary of the placement of the corpus. Our work also included repair of the standing seam roof on the church.

Ohio Governor's Residence

BEXLEY, OHIO

The Ohio Governor’s Residence was designed by Columbus architect Robert Gilmore Hanford and completed in 1925, as the residence for industrialist, Malcolm Jeffrey.  Since 1957, it has been the residence for the last nine Ohio governors.  Our work has included several projects including replacing the entire slate roof with new Vermont slate, new copper gutters and downspouts, and replacing existing rubber roofs with soldered, lock-seamed copper roofs.  Our most recent project was assisting in the installation of solar panels into the slate roof, for which the residence received the 2005 AIA Leadership in Building Design Award.

Frank Lloyd Wright's Westcott House

SPRINGFIELD, OHIO

Restoration of the Burton J. Westcott house, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, transformed a deteriorating structure into a dazzling house museum. The house, built in 1908, is the only example of Wright’s prairie-style architecture in Ohio. Durable Restoration served as the construction manager for this historic restoration – taking the building from an altered and dilapidated state and returning it to its former glory.

The home had been divided into apartments and had suffered drastic damage over the years despite efforts by recent owners to halt deterioration and preserve the building. Durable Restoration brought its considerable expertise in historic restoration and project management as construction manager for this project.

During the restoration of what Harvard professor Neil Levine called “one of the top twenty Frank Lloyd Wright houses in the world,” Durable Restoration uncovered new evidence of original architectural details which augmented the architects’ research on the building. Further research by Durable Restoration, such as locating a vintage bathtub to match a remaining original fixture, or tracking down a radiator escutcheon just like the originals, made possible what Tom Schmidt of the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy has deemed “a world class restoration.”

While preserving as much of the original structure as possible, the restoration involved extensive structural stabilization, selective demolition of alterations to the building, updating of systems (including the installation of an invisible geothermal heating system), and complete interior and exterior restoration – walls, floors, doors, windows, Wright-designed furniture, bath fixtures, light fixtures, roofing, site work, and landscaping.

Durable Restoration followed the U.S. Secretary of the Interior Guidelines and Standards throughout the restoration process.

The Westcott House first opened to the public as a museum in October, 2005.  Durable Restoration has won awards from the Dayton Business Journal and Ohio Historical Society for its work on the project

Phase 1

Phase 2

Phase 3

Garden District Residence

NEW ORLEANS, LOUISIANA

An extensive restoration was performed on the exterior and interior of this garden district mansion in New Orleans.  Built shortly after the civil war for an important French Royal officer, the house was later home to the Brennan’s, New Orleans’ famed first family of cuisine.

On the interior, our work included:

The exterior work included:

First Congregational Church

Designed and built in the Richardsonian Romanesque style by the noted architectural firm of Charles Henry, the historic First Congregational Church in Akron, Ohio was completed in 1910 and recently restored in 2005.  It is architecturally significant as it is one of the few remaining “Akron Plan” churches designed by Charles Henry, a design that they would eventually take nationally.  The Akron Plan had a unique layout with a Sunday school arrangement of small classrooms surrounding a central assembly hall.  This structure is now on the National Register of Historic Places.

Our work on this project included:

Following completion of this project, we received the following awards for our work: